So I adapted the spotty tunic I made Lily into a longer dress.
Its gotten to the point in time where my obsession with fabric is rubbing off onto others. My sister found this black floral cord in a stash of materials her school was throwing out. So clearly she thought of me! There were some other excellent fabrics in the stash including a funky navy and red sailor fabric which will clearly have to be a sailor dress once I get round to it.
So using similar methods as for the tunic I set to work.
The main difference this time is I lined the bodice with a light weight pink poplin I had in my stash. This sped up things immensely as I didn’t have to deal with neck facings or cap sleeves. As this is intended to be an Autumn/Winter dress making it a bit thicker and warmer is clearly a bonus. I didn’t line the spotty tunic because it was a summer top and it would make it too hot.
The other difference I made was I attached the tunic bottom half in the classic way like you would a dress. I thought the cord was too thick to try the fancy fold over method I used for the spotty tunic. I also put some of the pink lining fabric as a contrasting band across the chest. I think it looks pretty and provides a nice contrast.
And here it is! Once again – full kudos to Boden for taking photos of toddlers for their catalogue. One word – nightmare!
So this was definately a dress to grow into. I decided to make a small adjustment to the shoulders since it was huge. I added a little black ribbon to each to tighten it up. Looks very pretty too!