So I’m probably the last person on this planet to get Tilly and the Buttons book. My lovely husband got me the book for Christmas. In my pursuit of separates I decided to tackle the Mimi blouse. Magically the yellow gold fabric I got from Remnant Kings in Edinburgh will also work with the Monthly Stitch February challenge which is block colours.
I was a bit confused by Tilly’s size chart. My bust measurement suggested I was a size 4 but my waist suggested I was a 6. I didn’t want to have a blouse bursting at the seams so I went for the bigger size. Baaaaaaad idea (but more on that in a second).
The pattern is really simple – the only challenge was the slippery fabric. I may have had a few sweary words for it but those who know me I’m sure could never believe I would swear at something so small…. 🙂
Anyway after sewing it all up except for the sleeves I decided it was too big. I hummed and haaa’d about whether to leave it as a loose blouse or whether to have a shot at reducing it. My only issue is I couldn’t really be bothered altering the sleeve size. And I also couldn’t be bothered unpicking french seams. So as with most things in my life I carried on regardless and just hoped no one would notice.
So the fit issues:
Issue 1: The shoulders are too wide so the sleeves sit just a little too low on my shoulders. This will make me look a little top heavy.
Issue 2: Around the bust is too loose. In this fabric it actually looks ok since its such slinky fabric. I’d probably change it if I’d used a less drapey fabric.
So next time I’m going to try making a 4 and see what it does for the shaping. But there will be a next time as I really like this pattern. This bodes well for the rest of Tilly’s book!
(Sorry for the blurry photos – my camera appears to be having some issues with auto focus. Grr!)