My friend had a baby recently – its her second so I knew there was little that she needed. After all – the paraphernalia you get when you have your perfect first born is cluttering up most peoples lofts isn’t it?
I had this lovely book on making children’s clothes and needed an excuse for a sewing project. So I decided to make the baby’s bloomers and soft shoes. The book comes with patterns in the back but because they’ve been printed double sided you can’t do anything useful like cut them out and just use them. Instead I used the quiet Christmas period to utilise the work colour photocopier to print A3 sized pattern pieces. We’re an employee owned company so technically I’m only stealing from myself – right??
Choosing the right fabric was my next challenge. We didn’t know yet if it was going to be a boy or a girl so I was aiming for gender neutral fabric. Also my friend knew about my aversion to the ‘pink for girls’ and ‘blue for boys’ guff. Thankfully Remnant Kings in Edinburgh was having a sale and I found a lovely fabric with green, blue and yellow fruit on it that looked pretty gender neutral to me. I had some matching teal fabric in the stash to do the lining pieces.
Making the bloomers was very easy. The instructions were straightforward and the construction didn’t require anything more challenging that inserting an elastic waistband.
The shoes were a little bit more fiddly – mostly due to their size. I did manage to get the strap round the wrong way. Originally I had intended to have the fruit fabric on the outside but instead somehow managed to get the teal lining fabric on the inside. On reflection I quite like it though – helped by the fact that I was just too lazy to unpick and do it all over again.
I got the whole thing finished in January in time for Baby George entering the world. Welcome little man!