Miniest Me came home from nursery the other day wearing a pair of borrowed dungarees after her spare clothes got all mucky. And she looked freaking adorable. Like a little Mario from Mario Bros. And in a stroke of genius I remembered there was a pattern for dungarees in the latest GBSB book I got last year.
After a shout out on Instagram and a hunt on the various pattern review websites I was a bit concerned that I couldn’t find anyone who’s made them already.
The pattern calls for 1m of corduroy or denim and I only had 70cm of this needle cord from Cloud nine. I needn’t have worried though as that was more than enough. It’s a straight forward pattern with just 5 pieces and the pattern really only expects you to have a normal machine. I overlocked all my pieces before starting but actually all the top stitching makes that unnecessary.
Putting it together is quick and in all it took me 2.5 hours. I’m pretty sure I could do it quicker next time. Though I’m not sure if I might line the bib section next time just to tidy it all up.
The pattern calls for dungarees clasps but after a major falling out with Dunelm Mill my go to place for haberdashery I decided on using buttons on the inside. This is probably better for us anyway as she’s at that stage of trying to get her clothes off where ever she is. I reckon she’d have been able to get dungaree clasps off but not buttons. That saves the embarrassment of a naked baby streaking across the park.
I also added yellow pop studs on the sides which add a touch of class.